Happy Fishing

     So much about this Summer has been busy, hectic, and crazy fun. Those that were involved with our Summer Youth and Kids activities were incredibly blessed in their efforts and I have seen relationships deepen and change quickly under the compressed circumstances of mission trip and camp. In each trip we gathered, worshiped together, and told each other the truth and heard the truth from each other. Whether that was from scripture or from our encouragements of one another throughout each trip. Every kid and adult that joined us this Summer, whether they intended to or not became part of our Youth and Kids family here at United Methodist Church Karnes City. There was not a person too weird or "unpopular" to gather with us, and join us. Our kids have become old pros at ministering an important part of the Gospel which is that "You Belong Here." 

    If a person cannot see themselves as part of the group, or see past a disingenuous invitation, or get past the judgment or coldness of a crowd, then they typically don't persist to find where they belong, or stay to here the Gospel or feel the love of Christ. I am happy to report that our kids and adults this Summer have taken kids that weren't always part of our group and showed them exactly where they fit in. Our Board Chair Cassie said it best when she said last Sunday, "the kids are like that because it is part of our DNA as a church." After countless hours and miles I have spent this Summer, I cannot say I disagree. 

    Since my Walk to Emmaus last April I often wear a fishing tackle bracelet on my left hand to remind myself of the first and most important part of my job here at UMC KC, and it is not even on my job description and that is; to be a fisher of people. A church member gave me that bracelet and our wonderful church gives me the opportunity to fish for people every day here at the church, through our food pantry. No one comes through the building without a smile from Elena our communications director, a greeting from me or our pastor, and a great deal of the time a conversation with me or Pastor Danielle. And as my friend Tom said yesterday, the worst day fishing beats the best day at work.

    Fisherman that are 3rd and 4th generation are taught that seasons, location, and weather all play a factor in catching fish. We are in August. School is starting. People are coming back from travel, rhythms are being restored. With all of that we will inevitably have a good season of opportunities to fish for people. It is time for us to ready ourselves as a church to meet new people, connect with new friends, and show them where they belong in our church. There will be some cultivated situations in order to practice this coming up this month. On the 22nd of August all of our church teams including my favorites(Children and Youth Teams) will be on display after Church to give everyone a chance to pull in their side of the net, and join us on our fishing trip for people this fall. I will also be giving a class on Inter Generational Engagement on August 29th the whole church will be invited for this class and a lunch will be served beforehand. My hope is that it will be an exciting way to help us to relate to others outside of our peer groups. This would be a great time to partner with someone a little different and have new conversations and build new skills while strengthening old ones.

    Get ready for fishing season folks. There's plenty of room in the boat, and regardless of your skill with people, we guarantee if you decide to and set your mind to it, that you'll catch a few for the Kingdom of God. See y'all out there.

Marshall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer in Kairos

Re-Dedication

Leave Space