Leave Space

It occurs to me that one of my consistent mental exercises is the one where I try to take all the current changes in my life and extrapolate future events. I should say possible future events. This is a close cousin to rehearsing a conversation you are going to have repeatedly before the actual person you plan on talking to is involved. It is kind of like emotional planning. If I can think of all the worst possibilities then I can lessen the sting of surprise, I can better “handle” disappointment if I can expect it fist.

I had a student once that was worried about visiting their parents. They spoke about the past of their relationship and just vented about how it all made them feel. While writing this I remember what I told her and am slightly embarrassed because I so often fail to keep my own counsel or heed my own advice. I told her to feel her feelings to pick them up and then put them down and to leave space for her parents to surprise her. Maybe it will all happen as you expect it, and you have already experienced that before. But maybe they will surprise you by being a bit more understanding, by resisting the urge to lecture and judge. If she didn’t ever leave space for her parents to surprise her then maybe she would only be disappointed and see what she was always looking for, what she has always gotten before.

There are many rejections, traumas, and big shifts in life. I believe change can trigger our emotions because so often big changes precipitated grief, rejection, or abandonment. I feel that all too well, but when we walk with Christ we are called to a different pattern of living. We are called to begin leaving space. We are to leave space for God to work in. For God to delight us and delight in us. For God to bring us good surprises, for God to accept us. We must rehearse our worship and response to gifts and good things God brings our way. We leave space for God to work and work it out.

Scripture so often describes God as faithful to us. I read a scripture this week in the message translation that I would like to share with you about God’s love for his people and us. Isaiah 41:13 says, “Count on it: Everyone who had it in for you will end up out in the cold—real losers. Those who worked against you will end up empty-handed— nothing to show for their lives. When you go out looking for your old adversaries you won’t find them—Not a trace of your old enemies, not even a memory. That’s right. Because I, your GOD, have a firm grip on you and I’m not letting go. I’m telling you, ‘Don’t panic. I’m right here to help you.’ God is so much in our corner he makes audacious promises like the one above, kind of like a friend that goes to battle for you whether you ask that of them or not. There are not a lot of feelings better than another person saying I will back your play, I’m not going anywhere.

During times of change and uncertainty leave space for God to do good things for and remember the He is in your corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer in Kairos

Re-Dedication

Support With Accountability