Summer in Kairos

Summer is now here. By the grace of God South Texas had a true spring in every sense of the word and as things are heating up and school is ending, we enter a time for this part of the country that approximates hiatus. We take a break from certain events and busy times to hopefully plan a vacation and rest in this season. For a youth worker it is tempting to resist rest in this season, because this brief respite from typical onslaught of school activities give ample opportunities to connect and support young people in ways not available to us Youth Workers during the school year. As I learned last year during lockdown those opportunities for mission trips and camps are not guaranteed. Making the most of those special moments is quite a large part of the job. I do not remember every youth group meeting I had as a young man, nor do I remember everything that I learned. I have several good impressions from those times, but camp changed me, mission trips changed me. 

I started out high school as many do without a clue, little confidence, and an ambition to be better than I was in Junior High. I had many moments of shame and humiliation that swore to myself, I would never repeat in high school. I started a new school in a new town where not a single soul really knew me. I got the coolest band T-Shirt I owned (Pantera) and sought to label myself a metal head and a cool musician. At home I began to settle into my new family system and got used to the idea of being a big brother full time and spending as much time with my dad that I possibly could. Walking down the hallway before the first bell rang a Senior girl walked up to me, ask who I was, and complemented my T-Shirt. I remember nothing else except that I was finally going to be noticed the right way this time. That first year contained a lot of firsts for me. I joined my church. I had a girlfriend or two. Went to my first homecoming and truly felt for the first time since 2nd grade that I was a part of something, and youth factored into that in a huge way. We had a small group about 6-7 at our strongest and there were times where I went to bible study, youth group, and Sunday School solo. We went through a lot together and by the time I graduated, we had five you pastors come and go so we (the teenagers) kept the youth together and assured the success of our group. We did not have a consistent year to year calendar, and I will admit that I only went to one lock-in, one ski trip, four mission trips, one retreat and two church camps my entire career as a high school youth.

           The number is easy to come by because, those opportunities during the summer were not always available to me as I traveled to and from my dad’s to my mom’s for the summer and inconsistent youth leadership poked a lot of holes in those opportunities for me, but I took everyone available and participated every chance I got. Because of this I share stories with many dear friends during each trip and slowly over time I came by my identity in Christ, which while I occasionally played the poser rock star role when given on opportunity, I found an incredible thirst for God's truth, and that I could and desperately wanted to help others. Church Camp gave me a sounding board to draw out my call to ministry. Missions drew out my heart for many kinds of people. Lock-In, well honestly, I don't remember much from that one. A church retreat gave me an opportunity to get closer to my brother and we shared a room for many years. Missions and camps represent to me an incredibly special time which is called Kairos in scripture. Chronos is the Greek word for time on our watch and calendar, but Kairos are these moments, holy moments that God culminates his purposes, stretches the confines of a week, or a weekend, or a day, and presents us with grace to change us, love to heal us, and yet another invitation into his kingdom. While the saying goes time is money, it is true that our Chronos is finite and a currency for exchange. Kairos is priceless. It is worth the hours of teaching, praying, preparing silly games, and knowing that much of all that will be forgotten, but Kairos will not be forgotten and the grace that God imparts to young people through us and sometimes despite us never comes back empty.

So here comes the ask. I ask our congregation to support our VBS, missions and camps with a thick blanket of prayer. I ask that you prayer for each child you know by name that are attending are summer even prayer for those you are unsure about, because staying behind is tough. Pray for our adults stretching themselves in ways they did not expect. Pray for your Director of Discipleship so that he can get through the planning phase and allow God to orchestrate what I cannot. I am excited and nervous for the summer. I spend a little time every time I remind students to sign up, wondering if they will take this opportunity or let it go by. I can't see at this moment how everything will come together at this moment I'm operating on faith. I am sure of one thing, however. God does not work for me and my schedule. I work for Him. Sometimes that means he disrupts the meeting or takes it to a place you were not expecting. Sometimes that means he works best where I falter, in that space between plans, intentions, my will, and his Sovereignty over it all. One day Chronos will mean nothing to us, and Kairos will be all that is left. So, as we go into this Summer Season, I will be praying that you do not plan your schedule to preclude the spontaneous moments of grace God has in store for you. That you will live this Summer when you can, above the calendar, away from the phone and in Kairos, God's special time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Dedication

Leave Space