Focus

 What happens when we lose our focus? Do we really lose anything at first? It seems to me that losing your focus is deceptive, as we start to accept losses as a matter of course and develop a tolerance for failure and often even a fondness for failure. It feels good to loosen our belts, fall off the wagon, watch that TV show instead of reading a bit more to expand our minds and souls. I have always found it easier to stay focused at the start of the diet, the commitment, the ride, but as human beings our eyes wander and our brains wonder, did I really need to do this, can't I just... you can fill in the blanks.

    Scripture uses the comparison of sheep to people most often because the parallels are undeniable. We are easily led until we get lost. We cannot be alone safely, and are prone to predators. I had heard recently that sheep have extremely large peripheral vision to the tune of 270 and 320 degrees, and ours is about 155 degrees. This is great for sheep when the aim is to alert the herd about potential predators, but not so great when it comes to staying successfully in the flock. They have great vision but terrible focus. They will see a juicy patch of grass just a few steps away, and then find another, and then another. Before they realize it they have strayed far from the safety of their flock and shepherd, only to find themselves alone and not sure what to do next except to wait for someone to find them. Sometimes we have great intentions and a wonderful view for the future, but are prone to lose our focus.

    I recently lost my focus. Things that belonged on the periphery became the center of my vision, and some of the important things like study, prayer, and spiritual started to fall by the wayside. I recently spoke with a group of men that admitted to the group that they tend to lose their way when things are working. They get healthy so they stop doing the things that got them healthy. I do this at times, but I have also found that the reverse is true. When things are difficult and there are good coping skills to deal with them I will stop doing those things. I feel lonely but I say no to hanging out with friends. I get stressed so I stop talking and exercising. I feel sad, so I retreat and stop talking with the people that make me feel better. One of the comments my mentor used to make about the plans we would make for kids was a sarcastic, "well that worked great, so let's never do it again." This attitude of doing one good thing and then dropping it is a classic loss of focus, and we do this time and time again. When we fall by the wayside and lose critical focus we need a friend to surgically remove head from rear end. 

    In leadership, there may be a lack of people willing or able to perform said surgery, so what happens then? The truth about focus is that the people that need us or are in relationship with us have our attention of not. Without having our attention we will not make the changes we need to make or the ones they so desperately need us to make. Sometimes I think that a better depiction of love for our purposes is not the dying ultimately for that person, but the little deaths it takes to make a relationship work. Jesus talked about denial of self and the thousand little deaths we must accept in order to maintain our relationship with God. This was the carrying of the cross commanded by Jesus in Luke 9:23, "Then he said to them all, 'If anyone wants to follow after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me.'" CSB Personally I have always struggled with this verse. I have read many ways to water the meaning down all the way to hyperbole. But I think we are meant to struggle with it, and read it over and over praying for the ability live with that sort of abandon, that sort of singular focus. God either has our attention or he does not. Your spouse either has your attention or they do not. Your kids either have your attention or they do not. George MacDonald, once wrote and I am paraphrasing poorly here, there are few things more difficult than to wake the human soul. Do not despair at this, for we follow a God that specializes in life. Creating life, redeeming life, and sparking life in the dead. You remember what Jesus said to Lazarus after he told his siblings he is only asleep? He called his name and shouted for him to "Come Out!"

    Lord help me learn where I have lost focus, where I have fallen asleep. Get my attention and help me be the man you called me to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer in Kairos

Re-Dedication

Leave Space